Can i apply for work papers ?

Asked over 1 year ago - Rome, NY

Me and my wife just move to the USA my wife is an USC but i am not , she is looking for a Job , i was wondering if i can apply for my work documents ?so we can meet the poverty line or does my wife have to get a Job first ? what should i do ?

Attorney answers (5)

  1. 4

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Theoretically, yes. Practically, you need a joint sponsor.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866)... more
  2. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Consult with an immigration attorney to discuss requirements for adjustment of status based on a spousal petition.

  3. 1

    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . If your wife does not meet the income level requirements, she will need a joint sponsor. Your question, however, raises other issues, including your status now in the US. It sounds like you have potential complications to an immigration case and you should seek a consultation with a competent attorney.

    V.K. Vandaveer, PLLC. 202-340-1215. This response is only general in nature and is not legal advice specific to... more
  4. 1

    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . You can certainly begin filling out all the paperwork as there are various forms and information that must be completed. Once at least your wife is employed, you can mail in all in. It will take 90 days for you to receive employment authorization. A possible issue relevant to your entry: what kind of visa did you use to enter and when did you apply for it?

    The herein content is for general informational purposes only, and may be predicated on incomplete facts. It... more
  5. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . What can be done depends on how you entered the US.

    The Court of Appeals for the Eigth Circuit has stated that "immigration laws and precedents are complex."

    You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case. You can find one through

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more

Related Topics

Green cards

A green card is a legal document which provides proof that the owner is a lawful permanent resident of the United States.

US visas

There are many types of immigrant and non-immigrant visas, including work visas, student visas, and marriage visas.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

38,345 answers this week

3,953 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

38,345 answers this week

3,953 attorneys answering