Can husband sponsor his new woman and would he have to pay me support based on the sponsorship agreement?

Asked over 5 years ago - Albany, NY

We have been married for 19 years. My husband sponsored me for my greencard. Although he left the marital home, two years ago, we are not divorced.

I recently discovered that he has been to Russia to seek a new wife and is trying to push me to divorce him so that he can bring her (and her child) to this country.

He pays child support but claims he can not afford to pay alimony. I was emotionally and financially destroyed by this marriage. Is he legally bound to pay me alimony due to the sponsorship agreement? And can he bring another woman into the country after abandoning his first family?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Jonathan H Levy

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . I do not think your husband will be able to bring over a fiance or wife from Russia, if he is still married to you. In order to obtain her visa he will need to produce proof he is no longer married unless he commits perjury on the visa documentation. Once he is divorced though he should be able to bring his new wife or fiance into the country if he meets minimal ability to support them as set by the government.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,217 answers this week

3,002 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,217 answers this week

3,002 attorneys answering