Can husband get Deferred Judgment for drug charges?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Des Moines, IA

husband in jail on felony b charges. how do we go about getting a Deferred Judgment?we have a attorney. his arriagment is on the 22nd. can you explain what exactly Deferred Judgment is?

thank you and god bless !!

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Colin Christopher Murphy

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . A deferred judgment is a sentencing option where the court places the defendant on probation. Once probation is successfully completed, the defendant is discharged from any further supervision and the conviction is removed from the adult criminal record. It is necessary to accept resposibility and plead
    guilty to seek the grace of a deferred. However, I don't believe a deferred is available as a sentencing option for a class B felony. The county attorney would need to amend the charge to a class C felony involving less than 5 grams.

Related Topics

Criminal defense

Criminal law establishes the classifications of crimes, how guilt or innocence is determined, and the types of punishment or rehabilitation that may be imposed.

Criminal charges

Criminal charges are formal accusations in court that someone has committed a crime. Criminal charges have many classifications and degrees of severity.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

16,512 answers this week

2,274 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

16,512 answers this week

2,274 attorneys answering