Can HUD increase Security Deposit after taking over the building that I have lived in for 3 years?

Takoma Park, MD |

I am in low-income housing through a private program. This past January 2013 HUD came on board and is helping the company with this building. My rent is 30% of my income and my original deposit was $250.00 when I first moved in 3 years ago. Now that we are required to sign a new lease with HUD, we are being TOLD that our security deposit now is equal to one months rent. Which means I have to pay over $400. more on my security deposit if I want to stay here. Is this legal or are we Grandfathered in because we have lived here before HUD taking over?

1. Your Lease will dictate but an time for Lease renewal the terms can be changed or altered and this typically happens when new owners take over a property.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at www.serviceandjustice.com.

Landlord-tenant law topics