Can HUD increase Security Deposit after taking over the building that I have lived in for 3 years?

Asked over 1 year ago - Takoma Park, MD

I am in low-income housing through a private program. This past January 2013 HUD came on board and is helping the company with this building. My rent is 30% of my income and my original deposit was $250.00 when I first moved in 3 years ago. Now that we are required to sign a new lease with HUD, we are being TOLD that our security deposit now is equal to one months rent. Which means I have to pay over $400. more on my security deposit if I want to stay here. Is this legal or are we Grandfathered in because we have lived here before HUD taking over?

1. George Costas Andriotis

Pro

Answered . Your Lease will dictate but an time for Lease renewal the terms can be changed or altered and this typically happens when new owners take over a property.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at www.serviceandjustice.com.