Can homeowners sue the board members of a HOA personally?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Stone Mountain, GA

The HOA board members of my community are disreguarding the bylaws and doing whatever they choose. We have not had a meeting since May as a community. They do not have any mins nor are they informing the community of their actions. We have less then $10000 in reserve so there is a real fear that we will not be able to pay our water bill. They have overspent and have not managed our funds well.

1. Dean Richard Fuchs

1

Best Answer

Answered . You can, but there is probably not much point. Suing the HOA itself, and not the individual board members, will accomplish the same thing, if you are suing to get the HOA to comply with the bylaws. If you are suing for money damages, the HOA SHOULD have insurance, including insurance for its Board Members, so any claim filed, whether against the HOA or Board Members, or both, will be defended by the HOA's insurance carrier. Not sure precisely what you intend to accomplish by suing the HOA; best remedy is to vote the Board out at its next annual meeting and replace them with more competent ones.

2. Kevin M. Veler

Answered . Under the Property Owner's Association Act and the Georgia Non-Profit Corporation Code, you do have certain rights with regard to the Association and in some circumstances the officers and directors for breaches of fiduciary duties. While you can wait to the annual election to try to take control, you may be able to take action sooner if circumstances warrant. I would suggest you review your covenants and the Georgia acts to determine you rights, remedies and options and strongly consider discussing the matter with legal counsel.

3. Jody Lynn Peskin

Answered . While I completely agree with both of the previous answers, you should look at your covenants and bylaws and see what if any procedure exists for removing board members now. It can be a difficult task and may require a percentage of all owners in the community, so you'd need to talk with a lot fo your neighbors and see if they have the same concerns. I do udnerstand that one of the most complained of issues in communities is the lack of communication between baords and the members. You may want to ask to inspect the records and in doing so you may learn that they've done nothing wrong and are workign with circumstances that you were unaware of, such as a lack of income from members not paying their assessments because of the economy, including bankruptcies and foreclosures. By the way, the reserve fund is not intended to pay regular bills, its purpose is to pay for long term capital repairs and maintenance. Did you mean there's not enough in the regular monthly operating account?