Can HOA Directors be removed, or prevented from running for re-election due to years of their illegal non-compliant conduct?

Torrance, CA |

Directors violated Civil Codes, taken actions contradicting CC&Rs without owners consent, plus been in non-compliance for years. Making owners pay fine (s) never allowing dispute resolution. Making illegal edicts; without researching legal ability to enact edict. Arbitrary decisions being made without confirming alignment with Civil Codes or Bylaws. Conducting Special Assessment vote in an illegal manner; and saying it passed (when it didn’t pass). Not raising Association Fee for over 14 years, Directors never doing a Reserve Study. Multiple code violations (photographed) working exterior light hanging by wires exposed to rain without any protection Nov-Mar. 2013, rain gutter three stories up loose and continuing to fall away from roof Nov-Jan.2013, multiple trees in utility wires 2011- Mar. 2013, just to name a few incidents. Owners not offered or allowed to perform financial yearly audits, or attend Executive Meetings.

1. The board and officers can be removed as specified in your CC&Rs or not reelected. It is up to you to gain the support of the other members to make it happen. If you cannot do so on your own, you should personally consult an attorney for legal advice specific to your situation. Good luck.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

2. Your CC&Rs and HOA rules and regulations will tell you how to go about removing current board members. You can also try and get them "removed" by getting other candidates elected.

Election law topics