Can his mother or father take him away?

Asked over 1 year ago - Winston-salem, NC

My grandmother has had my nephew every since he was born. He was diagnosed as autistic about a year ago. He rarely see his mother and father. The only time his mother come around is on holidays to bring him clothes. My nephew mother and father never signed over their parental rights so could either of them take my nephew away? Even if his doctor says it would be bad for his health to be taken from my mother would the court take him away?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Lloyd T. Kelso


    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . Your grandmother needs to hire a lawyer and sue the birth parents to obtain a custody order. She has nothing to prevent either parent from taking the child.

    The author of this opinion is licensed only in the states of NC, SC and TN.
  2. Leslie Hall Amos


    Contributor Level 10

    Answered . I agree with Mr. Kelso, she should consider bring a custody action. Without a custody order in place, the child's mother and/or father have a constitutional right to the care, custody, and control of the child. However based on the very limited information, it sounds like they have acted inconsistent with that right, and that it may be in the child's best interest for his custody to be with grandmother.

    Good Luck!!

    Any answer provided through this discussion board is a general response to the question and NOT intended as legal... more

Related Topics

Child Custody

Child custody involves decisions about who will be responsible for a child, including parental rights, for both married and unmarried parents, and adoptions.

Father's rights in child custody

Father's rights refers to the parental rights of the father, primarily child custody and visitation rights. Fathers sometimes also need to establish paternity.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

16,097 answers this week

2,246 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

16,097 answers this week

2,246 attorneys answering