Can he now use the Green Card?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Franklin, VA

My husband had a Green Card.He left USA with a reentry permission for two years but he could not back within the reentry period.He then applied for returning immigrant visa but neither it was issued nor refused in writing. Later, he applied for Visit visa for urgent need after refusing several times, finally issued a visit visa.Now he is in USA with visit visa. His Green Card validity is still remains for about 4 years(upto 2016).

Attorney answers (3)

  1. 3

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It would NOT be a good idea for your husband to use his green card at this time. It is possible that U.S. consular officials might have required your husband to sign documents declaring that he abandoned his permanent resident status, before they issued him the visitor visa. Now that your husband has entered the USA on the visitor visa, in effect he has declared that he is in the USA as a "visitor" and NOT as a "permanent resident." I strongly suggest that your husband consult with an immigration attorney to gather all of the relevant facts and to determine if there is a possibility that he could retain his permanent resident status at this time, despite the facts that you mentioned. Another option might be for your husband to apply again for permanent resident status through you. A good immigration attorney will help you to have the best chance of success.

    (734) 369-3131. This communication does not establish and attorney-client relationship with the Law Office of... more
  2. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . The greencard is probably no good.

    Meet with a lawyer.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It... more
  3. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . As he is now here on a visit visa he cannot use his green card. The service will consider him to have abandoned his permanent residence. Please consult with an experienced immigration attorney.

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Green cards

A green card is a legal document which provides proof that the owner is a lawful permanent resident of the United States.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

33,067 answers this week

3,676 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

33,067 answers this week

3,676 attorneys answering