Can he get his visitation rights taken away permanetly?

Harrison, AR |

me and this guy were never married. he has paid no child support and my daughter is six months old the 27th.. and he has a criminal record. he is taking us to court for visitation rights and wants joint custody. whats the chances of him getting the standard every other weekend, over nights things?

You will not be able to get an intelligent answer to "what are his chances" of getting standard visitation over the internet, because child custody and visitation issues are simply too dependent on a multitude of factors that are unique to every case. For example, you state that he has a criminal record but that in of itself is not going to bar him from having visitation unless it relates specifically to the safety and best interests of the child.

With that said, it is unlikely that he will have his visitation rights taken away "permanently." If the Court determines that he poses a risk to the child then he may not be granted visitation now, but if circumstances change in the future then the visitation order could be modified.

Courts will want to encourage and protect a relationship between a parent and child as much as possible, so it would probably look to other alternatives, such as supervised visitation, rather than no visitation at all.

Child custody topics