Skip to main content

Can he file defamation of character lawsuit?

Columbus, OH |

someone made a facebook account and put my exes mugshot as the profile picture and now he is blaming me and threatening to file charges against me for defamation of character even though it is all public record

Attorney Answers 3

  1. If it is public record and what is posted represents the truth, there is not much of a case. Truth is an affirmative defense to claims of libel/slander. If suit is initiated or demands are made, you should consult with an attorney in your jurisdiction. Good luck.

    This answer is for general purposes only and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Consult with an attorney if you need further assistance.

  2. Anyone can sue anyone, but it would be fruitless obviously

  3. I agree with Matt and Christian.

    You and your ex your friends need to simply flag/report the account as being fake to Facebook. Facebook will take it down. Problem solved.

Personal injury topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics