Skip to main content

Can handicapped brother, property/rental unit owner, stop cousin (prior renter) from tearing down the rental? Please help.

Manistee, MI |

Handicapped Brother owns property, purchased house trailer for cousin to live in under conditions to pay rent till mortgage paid off .After mortgage paid, rent free as long as cousin lived in house. Brother had taken another mortgage out on property for Additions built on rental per request by cousin. After which Cousin forced brother to turn trailer title over and stopped paying rent over year, Cousin moves to mothers and daughter into rental without consent. Continues to tell brother he has not moved out but when confirmed cousin has moved, brother requests rent from cousins daughter, she refuse so brother serves eviction, she is moving out and rumored they are tearing down the place.

There is still a mortgage on property. Cousin continues to verbally threaten brother.

Attorney Answers 2


You have a complicated situation involving an agreement that was apparently modified at least once. An attorney is going to need to review all the facts of your situation in order to help decipher where you stand. Cousin may have equitable remedies. Family matters like this are always better settled out of court, if at all possible.

James Frederick

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ***************************************** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state. I hope you our answer helpful!

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


You've got to show all your paperwork to a
local attorney to review. This is way too
complicated a story to try to figure this
one out in a paragraph or two.


Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Real estate topics

Recommended articles about Real estate

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics