Can H4 visa holder stay in US without primary H1 applicant?

Asked about 1 year ago - Bellevue, WA

Am on H1 Visa working in US and have to leave to my home country for a month or so.
I will be on my employer INDIA payroll and not on US payroll during this time.
My spouse is on H4 and pursuing an educational course in US and hence i do not want to take her along with me to my home country.
Please advice if she can stay in US without me and if yes, then how long she can stay like this?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Haroen Calehr


    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . In my opinion no. Here's the problem. If your being taken of the US employer's payrolls covered by the LCA, i.e. being posted overseas even though its only for 30 days, then you yourself are essentially being benched and working for a company not provided for on your own LCA and you, your self are no longer on a valid H-1B and therefore neither is she, thats my opinion and reading of the situation. I could be wrong and perhaps others have a differen view and analysis of your situation and may weigh in on the issue.

  2. Tripti Sharad Sharma

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . H-4 is for accompanying or following to join H-1B spouse. If your husband is not maintaining his H-1B status, you will not meet your burden to show you were maintaining H-4 status.

    This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known.... more
One or more answers have been taken down.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,436 answers this week

2,882 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary