Skip to main content

Can H1B Visa holder start a business ?

Irvine, CA |

Hi I am on H4B visa and want to start a business may be LLC( soft ware company or website) , I know I can not derive any income from my company, but Can I work for my company or can I outsource to other company in my home country ?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. It is not that you cannot derive any income from your company. It is that you cannot work, period, for your company, whether that work generates income or not.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

  2. Generally no.

  3. You cannot work for your business (deriving income is not the issue).

    For more information on this topic, please see the post as the link below and the posts to which it, in turn, links.

    This information does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.

Business topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics