Can H1-B gets converted to L1-A or F1 (student's visa) once the Green Card is request is filed with DOL?

Asked over 4 years ago - Rogers, AR

My H1-B will max out in next 9 months. My Green Card aplication is going to be filed within next 2 weeks in EB-2 category.
1. Can I continue to stay in USA after 9 months, if my I-140 won't get approved my that time?
2. Can I apply for L1-A or F1 visa after Green Card application is files or after I-140 is approved?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Scott D. Pollock

    Contributor Level 17

    Answered . More information is needed. The F-1 is not likely, since it requires nonimmigrant intent. The L-1A and H-1B authorization periods often run concurrently and can't be used sequentially. There are circumstances where someone can request a 7th year and subsequent year extensions due to a labor certification application having been filed more than 365 days, or, if an I-140 petition is approved, 3 year H-1B extensions until the green card priority date is current. Consult with a knowledgeable and competent immigration attorney.

    Scott D. Pollock
    Scott D. Pollock & Associates, P.C.
    105 W. Madison, Suite 2200
    Chicago, IL 60602
    (312) 444-1940
    fax: (312) 444-1950

    Please visit our renovated website at, which allows client access to case status, enhanced information on services, and other convenient features.

  2. Sandra Renata Calderaro

    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . I would advise that you review the option of premium processing your EB2 I-140 so that you may receive adjudication of the petition within 15 days of filing. The additional fee for premium processing guarantees a response from USCIS within 15 calendar days.

    Please do not hesitate to contact our office for any clarification needed.

    Best regards,

    Renata Calderaro, Esq.
    The Calderaro Law Group
    Immigration Attorneys
    12550 Biscayne Blvd., Ste. 800
    Miami, Florida 33181
    305-938-8391 Telephone
    305-938-8392 Facsimile

    Follow us on Twitter: RenataCalderaro


Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,054 answers this week

3,132 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,054 answers this week

3,132 attorneys answering