Can H & R Block ( HSBC) bank cease my IRS refund for an outstanding debt from a prior year's loan owed to HSBC?

Asked over 5 years ago - Dallas, TX

I signed a contract with the intent HSBC would provide the loan within 2 days and deduct "only" the fees for rapid refunds. Legally can they withhold my entire return? I didn't realize I had an outstanding loan from year's prior. Does the IRS have an oblagation to HSBC to send them the return due to the debt?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Lu Ann Trevino


    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . These comments are made for educational purposes only and do not constitute legal advice. No attorney-client relationship exists between us.

    You need to go back and read the contract from last year. You may have agreed to this. You gave the IRS an instruction to send your refund to H & R Block when you filed on line.

One or more answers have been taken down.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,186 answers this week

2,649 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,186 answers this week

2,649 attorneys answering