Can green card holder become a citizen after marrying an american citizen?

Asked over 4 years ago - San Jose, CA

I have a green card and have been living in US for about 6 years, I haven't filed for citizenship yet but this year I will be marrying an american citizen, in this case can I become a citizen any faster? or will be it the same process as if I would be a green card holder, which is from 18 month to a year?

1. David J Cougle

Best Answer

Answered . You would file an N-400 if you've had a green card 5 years, or 3 years if based on marriage. Assuming you've reached the 5 year mark anyway, you can file an N-400 90 days before the 5 year mark.

I'm not sure why your N-400 would process any more quickly just because you married a USC in the process. I couldn't imagine it taking a year or more.

I attached a guide to naturalization for the N-400.

Also, I attached a link to find the processing time by specifying your field office location.

--
    The answer given here should be considered general in nature and should not be considered legal advice, or that there has been an attorney-client relationship established. It is always suggested to retain the counsel of a lawyer for legal advice specific to your situation.

2. Mercy Josepha Sequeira

Answered . You can file for your citizenship right away even before marrying a U.S. citizen. The processing times will still be the same but you will get it quicker if you apply right away.