Skip to main content

Can Green Card holder apply for US Passport?

Riverview, FL |
Filed under: Immigration Green cards

Currently a permanent resident and would like to travel for emergency purpose. Can I apply for US passport or do I need to renew passport in home country. If not, is it possible to travel to the US on an expired passport?

Attorney Answers 5

  1. No. Must be a U.S. citizen to obtain a U.S. passport. You would need the passport from your home country to travel.

  2. Only US citizen can apply for a US passport.

  3. No way.

    Guerra Saenz, PL--Immigration Attorneys (954) 434-5800. This answer is of a general nature and should not be relied upon as final, nor is it intended as legal advice.

  4. Apply from your country. You are still a citzen of your country if you are a permanent resident.

    Madrid Crost Law Group - (888) 466-4478; e-mail:; skype: usvisalaw 10 S. La Salle Street, Suite 3320, Chicago, IL 60603 Please consult with a licensed immigration professional to provide you with a thorough legal advice. This response is not a substitute for specific legal advice and it should not be construed to create an attorney-client relationship. Please help stop notario fraud. Please visit and share this site:

  5. You would need to apply for U.S. citizenship either through naturalization or derivation (through a U.S. Post Office); Run to your home country's nearest consulate and request a travel document.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics