Skip to main content


Ellenwood, GA |

Mother is a stripper in a night club. Child is always sick and we are the ones at the doctors and hospitals.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Ordinarily, grandparents in GA can't override the natural authority of the parents to obtain custody or visitation rights re: grandchildren unless (1) the g-parents' child is no longer in the picture re: the g-child (e.g., in prison, death, divorce, etc.), and/or (2) the g-parents assert their desire as part of another legal proceeding involving the parents and g-children. Unless one or both of those general categories is applicable to your situation, you may consider a deprivation or termination of parental rights action in juvenile court. However, if you seek legal rights in juvenile court, vs. one of the previous options, just because the mother may not necessarily be a "model" parent is not sufficient to strip her of some or all of her rights. Therefore, regardless of how you approach it, if at all, you will need to present sufficient evidence that allowing you some or all visitation, custodial, parental, etc., rights is in the best interests of the child; how the mother lives her life and/or the health of the child may be factors, but you will need something substantially more than what you have stated to potentially succeed.


Grandparents, even with imperfect parents, rarely win custody. Even visitation is not a sure thing. But both happen in some cases. Far more facts are needed to know what you can or should do, and you should sit down with a lawyer, and share details. Bear in mind that you also have to address the father's rights, which may also be superior to yours.

ATTORNEY GLEN ASHMAN 404-768-3509 . If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. Note that I am only licensed in Georgia and thus cannot practice in other states. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.


Visitation would be much easier. Even if the mother is horrible, you'd have to show the same about the father if you were trying to get custody. See a local domestic attorney.

Attorneys on Avvo donate their time and your feedback is appreciated. Be sure to mark the "Best Answer" or Helpful" to your questions.

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer