Can grandparents get custody in kansas if you don't want them to?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Topeka, KS

I'm planning on moving to New York in a few years but now since my son's father's parents want my son every weekend I don't think I can is there any way that I could still go without a custody agreement?

1. Ronald W. Nelson

Answered . You haven't given enough information so that anyone can answer your question. Is your son's father deceased? Are the two of you divorced? Were you and your son's father married? Was any family law court case ever filed or was a parentage, divorce, or child-custody decree entered between you and your son's father?

Grandparents can certainly "get custody" of a grandchild in some situations. But merely because they are seeing your son every or every other weekend doesn't give a basis for third-party custody.

You should contact a local attorney who focuses his or her practice in family law and talk with that attorney about your specific situation. Only by going over that information in detail can any attorney properly give you the advice you need on your questions.

2. Calli Diane Baldwin

Answered . It depends on the status of your son's father. Is he dead? Are his rights terminated? The grandparents are not entitled to an order of visitation with the child unless the father is somehow unable to exercise permanently. As to custody, they would have to show that you and the father are unfit to gain custody of the child.