Can grandparents enroll grandchildren in school in the state of georgia without courts?

Asked 8 months ago - Tacoma, WA

was thinking of having my 15 year finish school year out in georgia with his grandmother, but I was trying to avoid any legal stuff, is power of attorney suitable so I can keep my legal rights?

1. Elizabeth Rankin Powell

1

1

Answered . You need to ask this question so that GA attorneys will see it. You can have a local attorney write you a power of attorney document, but it will still need to pass muster in GA.

Elizabeth Powell

Using Avvo does not form an attorney client relationship.
  2. Bruce Clement

Pro

Answered . I assume that the "home state" of the child is in WA, and that you want the child to finish the current year only at a school in GA. If you want to execute a child care power of attorney for the grandparents and the school in GA, you will need to retain a GA attorney to execute one for you. It would be essential to make it clear in the P/A that this is a temporary arrangement, and that after the current school year the child will return to you. It’s always best to consult with a good family law attorney to discuss the details before you act. See my AVVO Legal Guides on non-parental custody and interstate jurisdiction under the UCCJEA for more information about the legal issues raised by your inquiry. Please keep in mind that although my AVVO Answers and Legal Guides are often informative, they are no substitute for legal advice from an attorney you have retained for consultation or representation. There are always exceptions to the general rules. To find my Legal Guides, click on my photo. On my AVVO home page click on "Contributor Level - View Contributions" or scroll down further and click on "Contribution - Legal Guides." Scroll down the list of my 32 Legal Guides and select the topics relevant to your question. If you like my answer and Legal Guides, please make sure you mark them as “helpful” or “best answer”. © Bruce Clement

3. Donald G. Henslee

Pro

Answered . School residency and attendance laws vary greatly from state to state. Ask the school district in Georgia about their requirements. Some have forms available for powers of attorney for educational purposes. Most do not. You will need to consult with a Georgia education lawyer.