Can GI Bill funds (Basic Housing Allowance) be used to calculate child support?

Asked over 1 year ago - Brighton, CO

We will be receiving a basic housing allowance (BHA) for my husband to attend school. He will also be working. We intend to disclose the income from his employment, but do we HAVE to disclose the BHA?

Additional information

I posted this in comments, but figured I would post here as well.

Mother of the child lives at home with her parents and does not pay rent or any bills associated with the home. Can we ask the court to consider this as a regularly occuring "gift" she is receiving - or as in something that actually reduces the basic needs of the child?

For what it is worth, we are not trying to get out of paying what we owe - we just suffered a major financial setback of our own, and cannot afford basic things for the child we have between us, or pay our own bills, much less pay $700 in child support - which is what it would be if we disclosed BHA.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Teddi Ann Barry

    Contributor Level 6


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes you do. Gross income includes "Expense reimbursements or in-kind payments received by a parent in the course of employment, self-employment, or operation of a business if they are significant and reduce personal living expenses."

  2. Christopher Daniel Leroi

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes, they can and will be used in calculating your income and ultimately in determining the child support amount.

    The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you are interested in... more

Related Topics

Determining child support payments

State laws differ in how to determine child support, but usually consider factors like the child's needs (educational, medical, etc.) and both parents' incomes.

Wendy Anne Mara

How Child Support is Calculated

Many parents who are required to pay child support either because of a paternity action or because of a divorce, do not fully understand how child support is calculated. Florida Statutes... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

17,466 answers this week

2,361 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

17,466 answers this week

2,361 attorneys answering