Skip to main content

Can friend be deported for 2nd degree sexual assault. Occurred 17 years ago

Madison, WI |

Can friend be deported for 2nd degree sexual assault of child 17 years ago
Asked about 18 hours ago - Madison, WI
Criminal Defense
occurred 17 years ago. Served 5 years probation. Immigration office just now contacting my friend. He owns his own business, married 3 children. Works, has green card up to date, pays taxes, etc. Where does he start. What can they do to him.

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Best answer

    There could be waivers available for him for moral rehabilitation depending on his circumstances. Also, there are ways of reopening his old case and getting it either kicked out completely or changed into something that will not affect his immigration status. What I am saying is that there are multiple routes to keeping him in the US. There aren't enough details about his circumstances to give a very precise answer.

    Khaja M. Din, Esq.
    Din | Memmen, Inc.

    Chicago Office
    4518 North Kedzie Avenue
    Chicago, IL 60625

    Madison Office — By Appointment Only
    Main Street Justice
    354 West Main Street
    Madison, WI 53703


    Managing a growing immigration & deportation defense practice

  2. Your friend needs to retain an experienced immigration attorney. The date he became a legal resident, the exact date of his conviction and the code needs to be analyzed to determine if he is deportable. If he is deportable, determine if he has a defense. He may be eligible for 212(c) or maybe readjustment. See a lawyer.

    714-560-0040. The answer provided is general in nature and because not all facts are known, it should not be construed as legal advice. The answer does not create an attorney/client relationship.

  3. I agree with attorney Pineda.

    The answer provided is general in nature and should not be construed as legal advice as not all facts are know by the attorney, nor does the answering of this question create an attorney client relationship.

  4. It is imperative for your friend to discuss his case with an immigration lawyer.


Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics