Can former employer give you cost of cobra insurance and give a payment date. Then change cost after you have paid

Owensboro, KY |

I elected to take cobra after leaving job made payment company accepted it and cashed check now they have send letter telling me the it is now 3 times what I accepted to due by the same date of this month and I went to doctor for an expensive fix based of the thought I had paid for insurance and was covered not I am unsure if I had coverage now

Typically, the employer has no control of the cost of your COBRA premiums. That is controlled by the insurance company which provides the group coverage. Further, employers are not required to pay your COBRA premium unless you execute a contract, or have a severance agreement, which obligates the employer to pay the COBRA premiums.

If the employer IS contractually obligated to pay your premiums, you should immediately notify the employer, in writing, of the additional cost and demand that they pay the difference.

If your employer was just helping you out, but has no contractual obligation to pay the COBRA premiums, perhaps you can talk to the employer about reimbursing you for the difference.

If you are unsure if the employer is contractually obligated to pay your premiums, you should consult an ERISA attorney in your area.

Your question has been answered as a courtesy. This is not paid legal advice. Nothing in this communication is intended to create an attorney-client relationship. Unless expressly stated otherwise, nothing contained in this message should be construed as a digital or electronic signature, nor is it intended to reflect an intention to make an agreement by electronic means.