Can Foreign investors be members of an LLC in all states or just specific ones? Thank you

Asked over 1 year ago - Mason, OH

My partners and I are planning on starting an LLC to do business in more than one state. I read that Nevada allows out of state/country investors to create an LLC and operate. Is my info correct and what type of licenses/filings would I need to fill.

Thank you

1. Luca Cristiano Maria Melchionna

Answered . Your question is not clear. In theory you can form a company in every state. However, you do not need to form a company in each state (at least at the beginning). You pick our jurisdiction (the most versatile) for tax or corporate reasons and then you start conducting business. If you conduct business in another jurisdiction then you need to register your company as a foreign company doing business in that other jurisdiction. Something very common. At the beginning, you need to be guided by an attorney. That is our job. Avoid any form of self help please, because you will render your life miserable and most importantly you will spend more money later when it will come to ask an attorney to fix your mess.

2. Todd Matthew Heine

Answered . Short answer: foreign investors can generally be members of an LLC in any state.

Real answer: you will need to figure out all kinds of practical and legal issues surrounding business formation and operation. You need to think of everything from getting a bank account to structuring your cross-border tax liability.

You should at least get a couple consultations from a couple lawyers.