Can Failure to pay fines and Contempt of court become a felony.

Asked about 3 years ago - Fallon, NV

I have fines for trespassing, petit larceny, and failure to pay fines. Ive had them since 2006. I have been arrested for contempt of court for failure to pay twice since. I have asked the judge to allow me to serve time in lieu of payment due to the fact that i am unemployed and cant afford to pay the fines and he just keeps telling me no and gives me more fines and putting me on a payment plan. i believe i have a warrant out now for this again. i plan on turning myself in to satisfy the warrant. I just wanna know beforehand if i could end up facing felony charges for nonpayment or are they likely to just keep this unfortunate cycle going.

1. Matthew T. Cecil

Answered . I suggest you contact Jacob Sommer. He is an attorney in Fallon, Nevada and may be able to negotiate with the court on your behalf to get the court to allow you serve some time in lieu of paying.

http://jnslawoffice.com/index.aspx

I'm not sure what he will charge, but I'm sure it would be worth it.