Skip to main content

Can Failure to pay fines and Contempt of court become a felony.

Fallon, NV |

I have fines for trespassing, petit larceny, and failure to pay fines. Ive had them since 2006. I have been arrested for contempt of court for failure to pay twice since. I have asked the judge to allow me to serve time in lieu of payment due to the fact that i am unemployed and cant afford to pay the fines and he just keeps telling me no and gives me more fines and putting me on a payment plan. i believe i have a warrant out now for this again. i plan on turning myself in to satisfy the warrant. I just wanna know beforehand if i could end up facing felony charges for nonpayment or are they likely to just keep this unfortunate cycle going.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


I suggest you contact Jacob Sommer. He is an attorney in Fallon, Nevada and may be able to negotiate with the court on your behalf to get the court to allow you serve some time in lieu of paying.

I'm not sure what he will charge, but I'm sure it would be worth it.

Good luck.

If you found this information helpful, please click the up arrow below. Please note I am only licensed to practice law in Nevada and remember that my response is simply a comment to your the law related question. My comments and postings are NOT legal advice or opinions. Additionally, my comments and postings to your question and/or my follow up comments and postings do NOT create an attorney-client relationship between us. You cannot rely upon what I have written, because: (1) I do not have all of the information or facts which are needed to advise you or render an opinion; and (2) my comments are not legal advise and are not meant to be acted upon as legal advise. If you would like to obtain legal advice from me, then you need to hire me as your attorney. Thereafter, then we would review documents, evidence, and facts, in order to provide you with legal advice.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer