Can Facebook and other social media sites be used as evidence?

Can a person's comments on social media sites be used as evidence in a criminal case (e.g. for sexual harassment)?

Sacramento, CA -

Chris J Feasel

Chris J Feasel

Criminal Defense Attorney

Absolutely.

Marilynn Mika Spencer

Marilynn Mika Spencer

Employment / Labor Attorney - San Diego, CA

Yes, they can. Almost anything from any source has the potential to end up as evidence. Careless comments on social media sites is so widespread now that I have to review social media participation by potential clients before I can agree to accept a case. And simply deleting posts will not remove them from discovery, due to the many retrieval options available.

If you are considering litigation, you MUST tell your attorney or any potential attorney about your social media activity. Do not assume it will stay hidden. Your attorney may be able to minimize the impact if he or she has advance knowledge of what you wrote. However, if your attorney is taken by surprise by information the other side has, it is often too late.

Andres Rivera-Ortiz

Andres Rivera-Ortiz

Employment / Labor Attorney - Miami, FL

Yes, and employers are increasingly checking Facebook to see, for example, if an employee that called in sick is out on the beach posting pictures to Facebook. Electronic media, in general, is a classic place to search for evidence in legal cases.

Christine C McCall

Christine C McCall

Administrative Law Lawyer - Pasadena, CA

Assuming that the standards for admissibility of evidence set forth in the California Evidence Code as to relevance, authentication, etc. are met, FB posts may be admitted as evidence. The authentication and foundational requirements are often significant admissibility hurdles.

Related Advice