Can f-1 students start their own business as an IBO of Amway?

Asked over 1 year ago - Rochester, MI

I am University student from India. I joined Amway through my friend couple of month ago. I provided all the information including SSN while registering. Is it legal or illegal to do Amway business? International students are not allowed to work off the campus. What if I quit that business? Will I be in trouble?There is 90 day trial period. What if I quit this business within 90 days? I am very new to this business. They convinced me that it is 100 % legal for international students. Will I still be in trouble if I quit this business? I will immediately get unregistered. Give me the best solution.

1. Gen Kimura

8

Answered . You have to ask the question to Amway. If you signed a contract, you need to read the contract as well.

2. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

8

Answered . It is best not to get involved in such pyramid schemes when still in a non- Immigrant status.
    If and when you get a green card in the future the you can do as you please. This sort of activity, peddling Amway products to your friends and classmates is not advisable at this time, for it will be construed as an activity incompatible with and in violation of your F-1 status. Ask your school's DSO and watch his/her reaction.

3. F. J. Capriotti III

7

Answered . This looks like a question that was asked before.

F-1 students can not work ... unless they have a permit. Don't do it.

Plus as Mr. Behar noted, Pyramid 'schemes' are very risky.

4. Tripti Sharad Sharma

Pro

7

Answered . Each non immigrant visa comes with a privileges. F-1 Student Visa, for example, gives the holder the privilege to study in the United States. Maintain your status by going to school, taking classes and test; and avoid getting into scenarios which could remotely be termed as violations - doing business (irrespective of the volume of transactions.) USCIS benefits are discretionary. CO(s) does not need to state any reason to deny a benefit to a non immigrant.

5. Heather Louise Garvock

Pro

5

Answered . I agree with everything that has been said here and I just wish to add that when you ask Amway, keep in mind that their motives are to keep you in the scheme, not to advise you as to what is best for your long-term immigration status and goals. That being said, you probably do need to look at any contract you've signed to see how you can exit that agreement with minimal damage.

With that being said, no one on this site can simply give you the best solution. If you cannot sort it out yourself, you can always have an attorney look over the contract for you.

6. Luca Cristiano Maria Melchionna

4

Answered . Are you here in the US to study or to engage in business activity? If you want to become a businessman probably you do not need to study. Then your visa must change. Best