Skip to main content

Can experienced Attorney help please? Tax and Immigration

Winter Park, FL |

Your asylum is recommended for approval and You want apply for jobs with EAD . What should You say if asked " Are You resident or non resident" question by IRS or any other forms ? Someone told me that I'm non resident and I filled the application s that way, later I found out that one lawyer was saying the person in my shoes is considered as resident. But its too late now I was hired already and its tax season, wondering if I can chahge that.
Because I don't want get any troubles from USCIS and IRS in future.
Who knows the right answer? Can experienced Attorney answer please? Thanks for your time

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Best answer

    For immigration purposes you are a non-resident since you have not been granted permanent residence as of yet. For tax purposes you are a resident since you have no intention of departing the United States.

    While this answer is provided by a Florida Bar Certified Expert in Immigration and Nationality Law, it is for general information purposes only and an attorney/client relationship is neither intended nor created. You should seek out qualified counsel to review your case and provide you with advice specific to your situation. Call +1-561-478-5353 to schedule a consultation with Mr. Devore.

  2. File the same form with noted corrections/amendment indicating you are resident.

    Madhu Kalra Kalra Law Firm 23720 Arlington Avenue, Ste 5 Torrance, Ca 90501 (310) 325-9012

  3. This is not a simple question and should should discuss with your tax advisor. If you would like to read up on the issue please see and Publication 519, U.S. Tax Guide for Aliens.


Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics