Can executor of a will deduct monies that was given to you from person before death

My mother always sent me money for years before she died. She called the checks "stress relief money". My brother who is now the executor of her will wants to deduct the money she sent me from my part of the inheritance. Can he do that. Will is written that after her funeral and expenses are paid my sister gets house, cars etc. and any money is to be divided between the four of us. Can he deduct money given to me in the past from my part?

Hindsville, AR -

James P. Frederick

James P. Frederick

Estate Planning Attorney - Livonia, MI

Legally, he cannot do this. But if he does it, you will need to hire an attorney to complain to the court. You should consider retaining an attorney to write to your brother and set him straight, before this goes any further.

James Frederick

Sponsored Listing
Paul A. Smolinski

Paul A. Smolinski

Estate Planning Attorney - Palos Heights, IL

Mr. Frederick has the right answer. No your brother should not be able to offset the gifts that your mom gave you. However, it would be wise to hire an attorney to protect your interests.

It would be wise not to sign documents unless you understand what they really mean.

Good Luck!

Richard Garrett Ham Jr.

Richard Garrett Ham Jr.

Estate Planning Attorney - Bentonville, AR

I agree with the other attorneys. Your brother cannot do this, and if he insists on doing so, you may want to speak with a local attorney as soon as possible.

Related Advice

Ask your questions on our Q&A forum. It's free and anonymous.

Need to find an attorney? Browse our lawyer directory.