Can executor of a will deduct monies that was given to you from person before death

Asked over 1 year ago - Hindsville, AR

My mother always sent me money for years before she died. She called the checks "stress relief money". My brother who is now the executor of her will wants to deduct the money she sent me from my part of the inheritance. Can he do that. Will is written that after her funeral and expenses are paid my sister gets house, cars etc. and any money is to be divided between the four of us. Can he deduct money given to me in the past from my part?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. James P. Frederick

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Legally, he cannot do this. But if he does it, you will need to hire an attorney to complain to the court. You should consider retaining an attorney to write to your brother and set him straight, before this goes any further.

    James Frederick

    ***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ******... more
  2. Paul A. Smolinski


    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Mr. Frederick has the right answer. No your brother should not be able to offset the gifts that your mom gave you. However, it would be wise to hire an attorney to protect your interests.

    It would be wise not to sign documents unless you understand what they really mean.

    Good Luck!

    Legal Disclaimer: Paul A. Smolinski is licensed to practice law in the State of Illinois only, and as such, his... more
  3. Richard Garrett Ham Jr.

    Contributor Level 7


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with the other attorneys. Your brother cannot do this, and if he insists on doing so, you may want to speak with a local attorney as soon as possible.

    The above answer does not constitute legal advice nor does it create an attorney/client relationship. Rather, my... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,862 answers this week

2,934 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,862 answers this week

2,934 attorneys answering