Skip to main content

Can ex get out of paying support? What can I expect now that order is pending registration in th US.

New York, NY |

German support order, ex owes over $90,000. He was served last month, Filed for extension to contest arrears and get a lawyer. He paid support while in Germany and stopped when he returned to U.S. We are both Americans, we divorced in Germany where I currently live with child.

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Best answer

    So long as the order is properly entered, I wouldn't see how the ex could avoid payment. He's entitled to assert certain, limited defenses, such as that the German court lacked proper jurisdiction. In any event, schedule a consultation with a NYC Child Support attorney for a full assessment.

    * If you found my answer to be "HELPFUL," or the "BEST ANSWER," please feel free to mark it accordingly.

  2. No. Men had to pay even when they were under a Ukranian Writ to pay support. He'll be nailed with the registration (unless he has a statutory defense which I doubt he does) and you'll eventually violate him. $90,000? That's high.

    Hopefully he doesn't flip custody to do the same to you.

    Good luck.

  3. File for a violation and have the order registered in NY. You may be entitled to support and legal fees, interest and even seek his incarceration if it was willful.

    If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or

  4. If registered properly, the Order should be enforceable unless it contains a legal defect of some sort.

Child support topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics