Can ex get out of paying support? What can I expect now that order is pending registration in th US.

Asked 12 months ago - New York, NY

German support order, ex owes over $90,000. He was served last month, Filed for extension to contest arrears and get a lawyer. He paid support while in Germany and stopped when he returned to U.S. We are both Americans, we divorced in Germany where I currently live with child.

1. Jayson Lutzky

Pro

7

1

Answered . File for a violation and have the order registered in NY. You may be entitled to support and legal fees, interest and even seek his incarceration if it was willful.

2. David Ivan Bliven

Pro

4

1

Best Answer

Answered . So long as the order is properly entered, I wouldn't see how the ex could avoid payment. He's entitled to assert certain, limited defenses, such as that the German court lacked proper jurisdiction. In any event, schedule a consultation with a NYC Child Support attorney for a full assessment.

* If you found my answer to be "HELPFUL," or the "BEST ANSWER," please feel free to mark it accordingly.
  3. Edwin Drantivy

Pro

6

1

Answered . If registered properly, the Order should be enforceable unless it contains a legal defect of some sort.

4. Peter Christopher Lomtevas

Pro

5

Answered . No. Men had to pay even when they were under a Ukranian Writ to pay support. He'll be nailed with the registration (unless he has a statutory defense which I doubt he does) and you'll eventually violate him. $90,000? That's high.

Hopefully he doesn't flip custody to do the same to you.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now