Can ex-domestic partner claim community property?

Asked over 4 years ago - San Francisco, CA

My ex live-in partner has evicted me from her property. I have until the first of the year to get out. She is now trying to prevent me from taking belongings she bought for me. This prevents me from finishing my packing. Can she do that since we weren't married? Is there the same law in CA for domestic partners and married couples regarding community property and gifts?

Thank you.

1. Richard Forrest Gould-Saltman

Answered . It depends on what you mean when you describe this person as your "domestic partner". If you and she were California REGISTERED domestic partners, or were domestic partners registered in another state which recognizes registered domestic partnerships, you and she MAY have the same eights and responsibilities as married persons in California.

You should take your domestic partnership paperwork to a family law attorney with domestic partnership experience and review the details completely.