Can estranged relationship cause any issue for naturalization after 5yrs for a legal green card holder?

Asked over 1 year ago - Madison, NJ

Can estranged relationship cause any issue for naturalization after 5yrs who is legally working in USA with a legally obtained green card? Living alone in USA. 1. Married, green card through EB1 not marriage 2. Wife in another country, wife never visited USA (no SSN, ITIN) Any precaution? thanks & regards

Attorney answers (5)

  1. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I do not think so.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866)... more
  2. Tripti Sharad Sharma


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If I hear you right your question is that if you are separated from your wife, will that be an impediment in naturalization? Answer: No unless the laws abroad require you to pay spousal/ child support and you have not honored it.

    This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known.... more
  3. Yolanda Navarrete

    Contributor Level 20
    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Under the facts you describe I do not see a problem.

    973-984-0800. Please be advised my answers to questions does not constitute legal advise and you should not rely... more
  4. Eliza Grinberg

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Everything can cause an issue, but absent fraud, it is unlikely on your facts.

  5. Eric M. Mark


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Everything gets considered. Having an estranged wife is not a problem, unless you obtained your green card through marriage in the US while you were still married to someone in another country. Often when someone asks a question like this there is more to the story and reason for concern. However, sometimes there is not. Do yourself a favor and speak with a lawyer rather than guess.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,602 answers this week

3,176 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,602 answers this week

3,176 attorneys answering