Can employers put petty theft charge against you for hiring?

Asked over 1 year ago - San Jose, CA

I've been charged with a petty theft misdemeanor when i was 18 or 19 ( i honestly can't remember , . . . ) and at the court it was infraction ( ? ) / reduced . . I know its probably the biggest mistake I've made in my life . . and i regret it a lot . . but I honestly don't know what to do . . and would grad school , med school , employers ( future jobs and part time jobs ) put it against me ?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Christine C McCall


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Talk to a criminal defense attorney about cleaning up the criminal record. Even an infraction can damages your prospects for admission to med school and other professional educational programs leading to State licensing, and State licensing agencies may deny a professional license for any criminal conviction. Theft and theft-related offenses are especially troubling to State agencies and the feeder graduate programs.

    My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice.... more
  2. Jasen Bodie Nielsen


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . It certainly could cause some problems for you. Theft charges are especially troublesome, as the other attorney said. I suggest getting the conviction expunged under 1203.4, which is available on infractions now. It's not a real complicated procedure, but does take some time, depending on the court. Good luck.

    Jasen Nielsen

  3. Linda Charman Hayes

    Contributor Level 7

    Answered . Contact San Jose attorney Jerry Mullins (408) 252-9937 email: He specializes in record clearance matters which is what you need.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,192 answers this week

2,918 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,192 answers this week

2,918 attorneys answering