Can employers put petty theft charge against you for hiring?

San Jose, CA |
Filed under: Misdemeanor crime

I've been charged with a petty theft misdemeanor when i was 18 or 19 ( i honestly can't remember , . . . ) and at the court it was infraction ( ? ) / reduced . . I know its probably the biggest mistake I've made in my life . . and i regret it a lot . . but I honestly don't know what to do . . and would grad school , med school , employers ( future jobs and part time jobs ) put it against me ?

Talk to a criminal defense attorney about cleaning up the criminal record. Even an infraction can damages your prospects for admission to med school and other professional educational programs leading to State licensing, and State licensing agencies may deny a professional license for any criminal conviction. Theft and theft-related offenses are especially troubling to State agencies and the feeder graduate programs.

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.

It certainly could cause some problems for you. Theft charges are especially troublesome, as the other attorney said. I suggest getting the conviction expunged under 1203.4, which is available on infractions now. It's not a real complicated procedure, but does take some time, depending on the court. Good luck.

Jasen Nielsen

Thank you so much Jasen as well! I really appreciate it :) I'm just a university student right now and isn't so comfortable financially how much would it cost of hire a criminal attorney to clean up my record? Thank you again :)

Jasen Bodie Nielsen

Jasen Bodie Nielsen

Shouldn't cost much. What county was the case in?

I went to court in Palo Alto so I think it is in Palo Alto..

Jasen Bodie Nielsen

Jasen Bodie Nielsen

Ok. Find an attorney in that area. It shouldn't cost you too much.

Contact San Jose attorney Jerry Mullins (408) 252-9937 email: alawyer@silicon-valley.com. He specializes in record clearance matters which is what you need.

Thank you so much Linda! I had went to the court in Palo Alto but the incident happened in Cupertino.. Which should be Santa Clara.. What should I do?

Linda Charman Hayes

Linda Charman Hayes

This is all within Santa Clara County, so the advice I suggested is still good. Follow through on this. You deserve the peace of mind.