Can employers put petty theft charge against you for hiring?

San Jose, CA |
Filed under: Misdemeanor crime

I've been charged with a petty theft misdemeanor when i was 18 or 19 ( i honestly can't remember , . . . ) and at the court it was infraction ( ? ) / reduced . . I know its probably the biggest mistake I've made in my life . . and i regret it a lot . . but I honestly don't know what to do . . and would grad school , med school , employers ( future jobs and part time jobs ) put it against me ?

Talk to a criminal defense attorney about cleaning up the criminal record. Even an infraction can damages your prospects for admission to med school and other professional educational programs leading to State licensing, and State licensing agencies may deny a professional license for any criminal conviction. Theft and theft-related offenses are especially troubling to State agencies and the feeder graduate programs.

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.

2. It certainly could cause some problems for you. Theft charges are especially troublesome, as the other attorney said. I suggest getting the conviction expunged under 1203.4, which is available on infractions now. It's not a real complicated procedure, but does take some time, depending on the court. Good luck.

Jasen Nielsen

3. Contact San Jose attorney Jerry Mullins (408) 252-9937 email: alawyer@silicon-valley.com. He specializes in record clearance matters which is what you need.