Can employer file h1b visa for person who is on w-4 or person have to be on w-2??

Asked about 1 year ago - Boston, MA

my employer is giving me w-4 not w-2!!

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

13

2

Answered . An H-1B visa must be an employee, not a contractor.

2. Kristina A. Gasson

4

1

Answered . My colleague is correct. A W4 is filled out at the time of employment to determine your eligibility to work. A W2 is sent to you each January that lists the amount of wages you earned and taxes you paid so you can file your tax return.

The requirements for an H1B visa are more complicated than simply being employed and found eligible to work on a W4. I suggest you contact an immigration attorney to help you.

3. F. J. Capriotti III

4

1

Answered . I think you are confused.

First, I am not a tax lawyer.

But, a W-4 form is given to an employee when they start work .... asking for your SS#.

A W-2 is given to an employee in January of every year ... telling you how much you made.

They are connected/related.