Can employer deduct money from my check if I am at a meeting on my off day and the reason was for talking during meeting?

Asked over 1 year ago - Atlanta, GA

There is a company handbook where there is a policy that states a $25 fine if you are late but i wasn't aware of that policy because you can not take handbook out of salon. This is an Incorporated business and i am a W-2 employee. The owner said he does what he wants and if I don't like it I can quit. My check i recieved that friday was deducted $50.00(for being late $25 and talking $25 )as well as the other employee deducted $25.00 whom i talk to during the meeting.

1. David Andrew Mallen

Answered . Wages are protected from fines and forfeiture. In some states, your wages can be deducted for tardiness. Check with a lawyer in your state for a free consultation to gain an better understanding of your rights and remedies. I am not a lawyer in your state but it looks like Georgia follows federal law on wage claims.