Can employer deduct money from my check if I am at a meeting on my off day and the reason was for talking during meeting?

Atlanta, GA |

There is a company handbook where there is a policy that states a $25 fine if you are late but i wasn't aware of that policy because you can not take handbook out of salon. This is an Incorporated business and i am a W-2 employee. The owner said he does what he wants and if I don't like it I can quit. My check i recieved that friday was deducted $50.00(for being late $25 and talking $25 )as well as the other employee deducted $25.00 whom i talk to during the meeting.

Wages are protected from fines and forfeiture. In some states, your wages can be deducted for tardiness. Check with a lawyer in your state for a free consultation to gain an better understanding of your rights and remedies. I am not a lawyer in your state but it looks like Georgia follows federal law on wage claims.

David A. Mallen offers answers on Avvo for general information only. This offer of free, general answers is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. If you need specific advice regarding your legal question, you should consult an attorney confidentially. Many experienced California labor and employment attorneys, including David A. Mallen offer no-risk legal consultations to employers and employees at no charge. David A. Mallen is licensed to practice law before all state and federal courts in California, as well as the California Labor Commissioner and the California Unemployment Insurance Appeals Board. Failure to take legal action within the time periods prescribed by law could result in the loss of important legal rights and remedies.