Can Employee take leaves when he/she does not have work authorization ?

Asked about 1 year ago - Sunnyvale, CA

I am working on L2-EAD. My spouse's H1 is filled and it can be approve anytime. I have also applied for L2 to F1 COS. But COS processing is taking time, still it is in initial review, So I can't ask for CPT. Any Idea if I can take leaves till the time I'll get CPT from my job ? or I'll need to leave company [ I don't want to quit my job, If I can take leaves then it'll be good]

Is there any Leave - Type for employees in law when they need to take leaves because of Work Authorization not there for couple of months ?

1. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

3

Answered . No guarantee you'll bet a CPT. Have to quit working when husband no longer on L-1B employment. Best option to apply for COS to H-4 after his H-1B approval.

2. Tripti Sharad Sharma

Pro

1

1

Answered . You seem to be doing the right thing which is maintaining status. Whether you quit or seek leave is a call you will make ideally after consulting an employment/ labor lawyer who will carefully review your employment agreement and advise.

3. J Charles Ferrari

1

Answered . Ask your employer.

4. F. J. Capriotti III

2

Answered . Even if you get the F-1 ... don't be so sure you'll get the CPT.

I suggest considering H-4

As for leaving the company ... you must quit your job when your EAD expires, or your/your husband's COS is approved.