Can employee leave a job & solicit employer's customers? Employee had not signed any non-compete or non-solicitation agreement

New York, NY |

There was no written employment agreement. Does the ex-employee have any real risk by contacting his former employer's customers and employees to try to get them to be the employee's customers and employees for his own competing business?

In most states the Uniform Trade Secrets Act would prohibit you from doing so, but New York has not adopted it. A client list is usually classified as a trade secret.

These are just some basic suggestions that you want to run by a lawyer (in other words this is not legal advice), but I would suggest you consider doing the following which may help you stay out of trouble:

1) Take out an ad in a local newspaper and say "John Doe, formerly with XXX has now opened his new office at ***.

2) Only solicit clients from whom you were the primary point of contact at the business.

3) Wait until you leave the business before sending any written correspondence with your new contact information.

4) Do NOT remove any client files, or any other documents belonging to the old business when you leave even if a client says they will follow you.

Again, I urge you to contact an attorney because this is an area where you could get sued quite easily. Also, make sure that your employer never made you sign a non-compete or non-solicitation agreement especially if you've worked there a long time... you might not necessarily remember what you signed when you started.

This answer is provided for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. You should not take action based upon this information without consulting legal counsel. This answer is not intended to create, and does not create, an attorney-client relationship. PLEASE REMEMBER: All claims and legal matters have statutes of limitations and/or other important time periods that apply to them. This means that you must take action on all claims or legal matters within the required time period(s) or your claims could be barred by the statute of limitations or dismissed. Contact our office or another competent attorney immediately to discuss the particular facts of any claim or legal issue you might have in order to learn what time periods apply to your particular situation.

How and when the employee got the contact numbers and how and when the employee contacted the customers would be important points in considering whethere there was a violation of a duty owed, interference with contract etc.

READ THIS BEFORE CALLING OR EMAILING ME: I am licensed to practice before the state and federal courts in Virginia. We have not established an attorney-client relationship unless we have a signed representation agreement and you have paid me. I am providing educational instruction only--not legal advice. You should speak with an attorney to whom you have provided all the facts, before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. I am not obligated to answer subsequent emails or phone calls unless you have hired me. I wish you the best of luck with your situation.

You may want to get a legal advise on this. Sit with an attorney before moving further.

Attorney Advertising. The information given above is intended to provide general information only and not legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Recommended articles about Employment