Can electronic companies be sued if the same thing is broken on alot of their items?

Modesto, CA |
Filed under: Business

My tablet broke and many other peoples same brand and model tablet broke in the same place.

In addition to Mr. Chen's response, I would add that your answer depends in large part on the manufacturer's warranties, if any. If you believe you have discovered a widespread defect in a particular company's product, you might also be able to bring a class action or other representative action to cause the company to repair or replace the defective product.

You need to consult with an attorney if you wish to even consider that route.

Good luck to you.

This answer should not be construed to create any attorney-client relationship. Such a relationship can be formed only through the mutual execution of an attorney-client agreement. The answer given is based on the extremely limited facts provided and the proper course of action might change significantly with the introduction of other facts. All who read this answer should not rely on the answer to govern their conduct. Please seek the advice of competent counsel after disclosing all facts to that attorney. This answer is intended for California residents only. The answering party is only licensed to practice in the State of California.

You possibly may have a claim under the California "Song-Beverly Consumer Warranty Act." The law provides that when a manufacturer cannot repair consumer goods after a reasonable number of attempts, the manufacturer must either replace the defective product or refund the consumer's money

Frank W. Chen has been licensed to practice law in California since 1988. The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended, nor should be construed, as legal advice for a particular case. This Avvo.com posting does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author. For specific advice about your particular situation, please consult with your own attorney.

Did the tablet come with a warranty? If so, as Attorney Chen mentioned, you may have a "lemon law" claim under Song-Beverly. You need to have an attorney review the sales-related documents you received to assess whether the tablet's defective condition is covered by an applicable warranty. Aside from a potential lemon law claim, you may also have an implied warranty of merchantability claim (this means that the law implies that any consumer product that is sold should be at least of a minimal level of quality). My office specializes in Song-Beverly claims. Feel free to call me next week and we can discuss this in further detail.

DISCLAIMER: This reponse is for informational purposes only and cannot be treated as legal advice. Legal advice depends on the specific facts of the particular matter at issue. Accordingly, you should not rely on or act on any information provided herein without consulting with legal counsel that is licensed to practice law in your jurisdiction. This response does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and the Law Office of Arthur J. Obolsky.

Business topics