Skip to main content

Can either party in a divorce case request the judge to force a settlement conference if the other party is delaying?

Columbus, OH |
Filed under: Divorce

My ex wife and I have been separated for 18 months. I filed for divorce 9 months ago. Her attorney has intentionally delayed the actual divorce proceedings in order to make money from her. The only issue is spousal support and our pensions. We have no minor children, no house, no joint debt.

I would like to compel the judge to force a settlement conference to speed up the divorce so my adult children can get on with their lives. Is that an option? And how could I do that?

Thanks in advance!

Attorney Answers 1


This varies greatly between courts and may vary even between judges within courts. I can't specifically tell you the procedure in the Franklin County courts, but a Clerk could at least tell you whether there is a procedure for requesting settlement or mediation in place there. Many courts have court ordered mediation or domestic mediation but many others do not. If she has an attorney who you believe is causing undue delay, then I highly recommend you hire a lawyer to represent you who can make appropriate motions to move things along.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics