Skip to main content

Can either a CH 13 or CH 7 Bankrutpcy save a house that has been foreclosed on in the past week?

Corona, CA |

The bank has foreclosed on my house a week ago and I am trying to figure out if filing for BK will allow me to get the house back and get current on my payents.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


No. The time to have protected your property from foreclosure with a bankruptcy was before it was sold, not after. Your rights for relief from foreclosure are governed by CA law, in any event. If you have any basis to set-aside the sale you can do it in state court if your lender will not agree to set it aside.

You should promptly consult counsel to determine if you have any basis under CA law to set-aside the sale. Since those circumstances are few and would require a detailed review of your case by an experienced attorney, you should not expect a such a consultation to be free of charge. Good luck.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

Stephen Ross Cohen

Stephen Ross Cohen


I disagree, there are also federal rights which may have been violated and I do a lot of work helpping people restructure their loans to keep their houses even after foreclosure. But BK is not the answer


I agree with Mr. Daymude. I'll add that don't be fooled into filing for a bk to delay these guys, that will end up costing you some $$ and result in nothing.

The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advise" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here. Please visit my web site: for more information about my services.


No, you can't get your home back after it was foreclosed. If you have debts in addition to the house, consider filing for Chapter 7 and moving on.


While there *are* times at which you can recover property after repossession/foreclosure, as the above California attorneys point out, foreclosure in California is not one of them.

To get property *back* through bankrtuptcy, as opposed to not getting it taken, you must still have a right to get it back under state law, such as a redemption period on a repossessed vehicle, or (in some states) a redemption period on a mortgage.

Bankruptcy and debt topics

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer