Skip to main content

Can DSS permanently take custody of my son from me if I don't pass a polygraph test for false allegation of child sexual abuse

Charleston, SC |

They claimed that my child made an allegation toward me. It was founded to be unreliable and dropped in court. DSS still wants to take me to Family Court to take my child away even though allegation is false and theaten me that I need to pass a polygraph in order to get my child back.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


No, if the allegations were already deemed unfounded in Family Court that should be the end of the issue. Unfortunately, it seems CPS wants more. Thus, I strongly suggest you find a really good local attorney to advocate for you immediately or you may find you and your son are separated for a long time. You can find attorneys in your area by searching among the profiles here on Avvo. Good luck!

Ms. Brown may be reached at 718-878-6886 during regular business hours, or anytime by email at: All of Ms. Brown’s responses to questions posted on AVVO are intended as general information based upon the facts stated in the question, and are provided for educational purposes of the public, not any specific individual, and her response to the question above is not legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Brown is licensed to practice law in New York. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, you must contact an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state.


The can take the child permanently if you do not fight it. You should get an attorney. If you cannot afford one, the court can appoint one in these cases. When you say "it was foundedd to be unreliable and dropped in court", it depends a great deal who unfounded it. If criminal charges are dropped, DSS is not bound by this. DSS cases are brought in a different court which requires a lower standard of proof. It is not unusual for DSS to pursue abuse allegatins in court where crimiminal charges are not pursueed. You need a lawyer or your chance of getting your child back will be substantially lower.

Mary Katherine Brown

Mary Katherine Brown


Attorney Anderson has given you a good answer, and as an attorney from your same state, I encourage you to rely upon his advice with confidence. Good luck!

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer