Can doctors make medical marijuana recommendations over Skype?

San Francisco, CA |

In California, doctors make medical marijuana recommendations to patients (who then bring the card to dispensaries). Is it legal for these doctors to make these recommendations over Skype?

Although electronic medical records and prescriptions are usually allowed I have never seen any sent through Skype. There may be some privacy and confidentiality issues to over come in HIPAA

AVVO DISCLAIMER I am licensed in Minnesota only and my answers on Avvo assume Minnesota law. The answers I provide are for general information only and are NOT INTENDED AS LEGAL ADVICE and therefore must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interaction between an attorney and client and specific exact facts and the law. I do not retain clients without a signed RETAINER AGREEMENT. The Avvo forum does not allow for the discussion and the interaction necessary to form a complete legal analysis. Therefore the answers given to any specific question would most likely be different if there was attorney-client interaction. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such an attorney client relationship. An attorney-client relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged nor are they confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and statutory time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in the answers to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an qualified attorney for legal advice licensed in the proper jurisdiction. Finally, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference.

As marijuana use remains a federal crime, I suggest great caution in either the recommendation , use or sales of it . You should confer with an attorney who emphasiszes medical marijuana issues in j=his/her practice.

The above is not intended as legal advice. The response does not constitute the creation of an attorney client relationship as this forum does not provide for a confidential communication.

Against Federal law which trumps state law.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com

I agree with some of the aforementioned answers, specifically that I would advise against Skype prescriptions as the use of the internet may implicate Federal jurisdiction which would run afoul of the Federal prohibition against marijuana use for any reason. Also, I would advise against of such Skype prescribing practices for my healthcare clients b/c I think that their licensing agencies would frown upon such informal and remote diagnosis unless the patient had severe need and mobility restrictions.