Can doctors legally charge whatever they want?

Asked over 1 year ago - Piscataway, NJ

I have a lawsuit pending for an injury sustained from slipping and falling. I was told i needed a test my insurance company would not cover. As a result the doctor and surgical center have a lien placed on my lawsuit under a letter of protection totaling over 9
$90,000.00. I called my insurance company and they told me that the allowed cost for this test is $1246.11. Can they force me to pay the $90,000.00. it seems excessive to say the least.

1. Marian Ida Kelly

Pro

1

Answered . You should discuss this issue with your attorney, as I am assuming you have one since there is a letter of protection involved. If you are represented by an attorney, your attorney is in the best position to advise you, as he/she will be familiar with the medical provider and able to tell you what can be worked out with the provider regarding the bill due.