Can doctors legally charge whatever they want?

Piscataway, NJ |
Filed under: Lawsuits and disputes

I have a lawsuit pending for an injury sustained from slipping and falling. I was told i needed a test my insurance company would not cover. As a result the doctor and surgical center have a lien placed on my lawsuit under a letter of protection totaling over 9
$90,000.00. I called my insurance company and they told me that the allowed cost for this test is $1246.11. Can they force me to pay the $90,000.00. it seems excessive to say the least.

You should discuss this issue with your attorney, as I am assuming you have one since there is a letter of protection involved. If you are represented by an attorney, your attorney is in the best position to advise you, as he/she will be familiar with the medical provider and able to tell you what can be worked out with the provider regarding the bill due.

These comments are provided as a public service and are not intended to constitute legal advice. No attorney-client relationship has been created.