Can discover bank garnish my VA Disability income

Asked 6 months ago - Eugene, OR

Discover bank is trying to garnish my VA Disability can they do that

1. Gregory L Abbott

2

Answered . Technically they can garnish your account but you should be able to recover it all in an easy court hearing as long as you can prove it was disability money that they took. If you are not comfortable doing it all yourself, talk with a local debt collection attorney.

2. Peter Walter Weston

Pro

Answered . Proceeds in a bank account can be generally be garnished bt a judgment creditor, but exceptions exist for social security benefits and disability benefits, which should be brought to their attention, as being exempt, and, if there is a garnishment you should go to the court that ordered the garnishment to prove by tracing the source of funds that there was an exemption.
    The funds should be released if they had been garnished wrongfully.