Can diabetes affect bac , blood test in Pa.

Ephrata, PA |

I had an accident , went off road , i am a diabetic and havent eaten in 24 hours , i was coming home from local tavern , when i saw white lights and lost control and hit a tree,,then passed out for a moment , all i saw were white lights, i was transported to trauma , where bac , blood test was taken and shoed a .224

I don't believe diabetes will throw a blood test off to that extent. It can throw off a breath test. It may well have caused your accident, though. You should be aware that consuming alcohol can cause your blood sugar level to go off the chart resulting in symptoms that mimic intoxication although they are not.

"Since a diabetic has the potential to perform poorly on field sobriety tests and give off a high BAC reading, even though he or she may not be intoxicated, the chances of being arrested for DUI or DWI are significant. If you are a diabetic and are facing DWI or DUI charges that are unjustified, you need to contact a DUI lawyer or DWI lawyer immediately. An experienced attorney will be able to review your case, including your medical history, to help you build a strong defense. Too many diabetics are wrongfully accused of driving under the influence when in reality, they were just experiencing the symptoms of hypoglycemia."

How is it that they had access to your blood test? Labs do make mistakes. There are real issues in this case that could provide a defense.

You should be talking with a local DUI / DWI attorney as soon as possible. You could lose your license even if you win your case unless you act quickly.

If any answer on AVVO helps you, mine or someone else’s, please mark it as "helpful" or "best answer" to help AVVO know which answers to show others.

Thank you.

--- Experienced DUI/DWI/OWI/Drunk Driving Lawyer in Madison, Wisconsin

--- Field sobriety "tests"

--- DUI/DWI/Drugged Driving with Prescription Drugs

--- Ten Days to Save Your License - Administrative Suspension and Refusals in Wisconsin

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. I am a Wisconsin lawyer. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you. You should NOT assume or otherwise conclude that there is an attorney -client relationship between any reader and this writer or his firm. These comments are only guideposts. They are not subject to any privilege protections. Indeed, these internet communications are neither privileged nor confidential. Accordingly, those using this form of communication need to be guarded in what they write. Because of the nature of these communications the information is general only and should not be relied upon in any specific case. This internet site is public forum, where the communications are not confidential or privileged. There may very well be merit to your defense or position in this type of situation. However, there are hardly sufficient details for an attorney to provide you with some path to follow. It is imperative that ALL of the facts in a particular situation be examined. No conclusion can be drawn from the communication that you have provided. There are some matters that are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Most, if not all, legal matters should not be handled via internet communication. At best, the responders on this site can give you a few hints and guidance. To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services. Experienced Criminal Defense Lawyer in Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin Talking to the Police - Advice from Lawyers and Police:

Because DUI is based upon an analysis of blood, every aspect of your medical condition is important, particularly diabetes, anemia, and other blood related diseases. My office employs a legal nurse consultant for the purpose of reviewing a client's medical history. When necessary, we may engage the services of a consulting or testifying expert hematologist or other specialist,

It is also important to remember that trauma, and the use of lactated ringers in the emergency room can affect BAC. However, the first, and most important step in any DUI defense case is to consult with an attorney, like me, who will fully and fairly evaluate your case in conjunction with your individual circumstances and goals.

F. Dean Morgan, Esquire

For a free online evaluation

That is a very high BAC. An expert would need to review it and say whether it had an affect. The more liekly way it could affect the trial would be if the BAC test were thrown at. At that point they could attempt to prove you were intoxicated by your behavior, alcohol on your breath and the accident. The blood sugar could affect your behavior and cause the accident. There are many possibilities, so speak to an attoreny experienced in this area.

Michael L. Doyle
(215) 900-5565