Skip to main content

Can dept. of human services not let my child return home unless I divorce my husband?

Oskaloosa, IA |

I am doing everything dept. of human services has asked me to do in our case. my husband moved 7 hours away from me but inbetween jobs (weekends) stays at my ( our old) home. he isnt playing their game anymore since he works out of state anyway he is only allowed supervised visits. Our daughter doesnt want anything to do with him now and he her either. he leaves when she is to be here and will continue to do so if he even returns. Daughters councler told my mom daughter wont be returned untill brett n i divorce. can they really make us do that? we were going to but now we postponed/cancelled it..I know were not going to make it work but am still civil to him. Hes paid for everythin here and we need to communicat still about daughter etc..

Attorney Answers 2


They cannot make you divorce him, however i am concerned as to what he has done to create that concern in you and in them, please chat with a local attny, and be careful. take care.

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.

Mark as helpful

11 found this helpful

2 lawyers agree


I agree with my colleague

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics