Can defendant always be convicted of lesser included offenses?

Dallas, TX |

If defendant does not want jury to have option of the lesser includeds, is that possible to happen? How does it work? Does DA choose to give jury option or what? Thank you.

Good question. The state can request a charge on a lesser included offense. If the defendant either agrees to the charge or fails to object, and the evidence is found insufficient on the greater but sufficient to prove the lesser, the judgment will be reformed to reflect a conviction on the lesser rather than an outright acquittal.

Thank you very much. Most helpful answer. LAST THING THOUGH, I PROMISE... I am just mainly asking... if defendant hoped to have ONLY the greater charge as an option for the jury, could that be accomplished? For example, only 1st degree murder as option for jury, or theyd basically have to acquit. No 2nd degree, manslaughter etc. Thank you so much!

In Criminal trial the court is allowed but does not have to give or instruct the jury with instructions that include lesser included offense. This depends off course on the evidence introduced during the trial and the law argued to that judge as it applies to the facts in the case.

However in capital crimes, my understanding is that the United States Supreme Court has held that the court SHALL instruct the jury that they may find the defendant guilty of a lesser included offenses .See Beck v. Alabama, 447 U.S. 625 (1980).

Thank you. I guess I've heard sometimes DAs don't "offer" for example, manslaughter or 2nd degree murder...and only offer murder 1 because they don't want conviction on anything less?

I generally agree with what Mr. Harper has said. However, every case is different, and if it cannot be reasonably said that there is evidence in the trial that the defendant is guilty, if at all, only of a lesser included offense, then the lesser included offense instruction is almost never going to be given.

Answers on Avvo are for general information purposes only and should not be relied upon as legal advice. No attorney / client relationship is created by providing this answer. For specific advice about your situation, you should consult a competent attorney of your choosing.

Thank you. I guess I'm confused as to an example of when evidence wouldn't exist to convict of lesser included. I don't see how that would happen.

Evan Edward Pierce-Jones

Evan Edward Pierce-Jones

The issue is whether there is evidence that the defendant is guilty, if at all, of ONLY the lesser included offense.

ok LAST QUESTION... So it's up to the judge, not the prosecutor? I guess I've heard sometimes (maybe mostly on TV), DAs don't "offer" for example, manslaughter or 2nd degree murder...and only offer murder 1 because they don't want conviction on anything less?

Evan Edward Pierce-Jones

Evan Edward Pierce-Jones

That is a different issue. The prosecutor is empowered to make whatever plea offer he or she chooses within the range of punishment provide for by law. When it comes to lesser included offenses, the prosecutor will sometimes choose to offer a plea to a lesser included offense as a plea bargain. I have rarely if ever seen a judge object to that. However, that is not the same thing as being in a trial, with the evidence about guilt having been received by the court, and then asking the judge to include a jury instruction about lesser included offenses in the instructions given to the jury.

In addition to the other answers given, many crimes do not have lesser included offenses even if that seems counterintuitive for any specific crime. For instance, Texas law clearly states that Public Intoxication is NOT a lesser included offense of DWI, even though the elements may suggest otherwise at first glance.

The above is for academic purposes and is not intended as legal advice. The response does not constitute the creation of an attorney client relationship as this forum does not provide for a confidential communication.

Stephen Andrew Hamer

Stephen Andrew Hamer

Thank you very much. Most helpful answer. LAST THING THOUGH, I PROMISE... I am just mainly asking... if defendant hoped to have ONLY the greater charge as an option for the jury, could that be accomplished? For example, only 1st degree murder as option for jury, or theyd basically have to acquit. No 2nd degree, manslaughter etc. Thank you so much!

Stephen Andrew Hamer

Stephen Andrew Hamer

Wow. Was trying to answer comment above. Phone pasted here.

Thats a tough call usually one to be made with this in mind:
If you elect not to ask for a lesser included and the jury comes back say for example Robbery and you didn't ask for the lessers of Assault and Theft, and the evidence in the trial shows weak say on the theft but the jurors don't have a choice but feel you are guilty of robbery but would have opted for the lesser than you precluded them from doing that. On the other hand, in a murder case where evidence is insufficient for murder but sufficient for manslaughter you might just want to gamble that and wait for the not guilty. The Judge has the ultimate say what goes in the jury charge and of course this is an area that keep appellate attorney's busy.

Providing general answers are meant to help the poster to understand some complex legal concepts and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship.