Skip to main content

Can debtors attach my social security in washington state?

Seattle, WA |

We live on a fixed income. My husband has social security and I receive social security disability. we have a hospital bill we cannot pay and I'm afraid they will take all our money and we will have nothing to live on.

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Under federal law (42 U.S.C. 407) social security income is protected from "execution, levy, attachment, garnishment, or other legal process." Nonetheless, I suggest you work with the hospital to pay what you can.

    Providing this general response does not create an attorney client relationship.

  2. Your social security benefits cannot be garnished by the hospital.

    DISCLAIMER: David J. McCormick is licensed to practice law in the State of Wisconsin and this answer is being provided for informational purposes only because the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship.

  3. I agree with the previous answers and it is also exempt under state law RCW 6.15
    Good Luck

    Only If and until you and I sign an Agreement for Legal Services, I am not your attorney. These answers are provided for informational and/or novelty purposes

  4. Neither your Social Security Disability benefits nor your husband's Social Security benefits can be attached by creditors as long as they are identifiable as coming from Social Security. If they are mixed together with other funds in a single bank account, they may lose that protection. If you have assets, those may be available to your creditors. If you have assets that you want to protect, you should consult with an attorney about how to address this problem. Most hospitals have some kind of free care pool -- you can also talk to the hospital billing office about this.

Social security topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics